Here’s a little video for you today.  I thought I’d mix it up and show my face for once.  It’s a little precursor to a .PDF I’ll be writing about the same topic.  Hope you enjoy.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYLukftHEP0

(The Buddy Morris video can be found in, Who’s In Your Five?)

6 Responses to Why Olympic Lifting For Athletes Isn’t As Good As It Sounds

1. Brock says:

I’m sorry man, but this argument is tired. I’m not saying that people absolutely have to do the O-lifts, but teaching someone to do a power clean and power snatch is not teaching them the sport of weightlifting. Conversely, no one seems to make the argument that teaching someone to squat, deadlift, or bench is teaching them the sport of powerlifting. And if you know what you’re doing teaching power cleans and power snatches, you can easily have a halfway decent athlete doing them properly in about 15 minutes.

• anthony mychal says:

Brock,

The question is this: why are you teaching them? The bulk of my argument isn’t because of injury reasons, or because they take too long to teach, but why an athlete would do them. If you can answer that, then I really don’t have much of an issue as long as the answer is concrete.

And you could make the argument that teaching someone to squat, deadlift, and bench is teaching them powerlifting if you treat their technique and training methods as if they were a powerlifter. Few people that bench press, bench press like a powerlifter does. Same goes for squatting and deadlifting. Powerlifters have little mechanical solutions and form tweaks to better the lifts.

But, honestly, most athletes probably don’t need to both squat and deadlift. Depends on their sport.

So if you can tell me a good reason as to why you’re implementing them, then I wouldn’t have a problem. It’s just that, most people can’t :)

• Brock says:

Triple extension. I realize that your argument about full extension at the ankle is somewhat valid. But if there is still full extension at the knee and hip, is it still worthless? This is essentially the same as saying there isn’t true full triple extension in a med ball throw. What extension we get at the ankle is not really all that important, considering how little ankle plantarflexion contributes in the grand scheme of things (jumping specifically). And just as you mentioned with the bench pressing, power cleans and power snatches are not the same as what weightlifters do. I realize this may not have been the most well constructed argument (I’m in a bit of a rush), but I hope you understand what I’m saying.

• anthony mychal says:

So you’re saying that an advantage of snatching and cleaning is that it trains triple extension — even though you openly admit that the ankle never extends fully and it’s not very important in the grand scheme of force production? And then they are of benefit because they train hip and knee extension. But don’t deadlifts and squats both train both hip and knee extension too? In which case, if you’re argument for the Olympic Lifts is that it trains triple extension and yet you openly dismiss the ankle factor of it, but defaulting to them training hip and knee extension — both things that squats and deadlifts do.

I’m don’t want to this to get hostile. In fact, I love these kinds of discussions so I hope we can keep this neutral and both learn here. But what I’m trying to do is to get you to think from a more basic nature. Looking forward to your reply.

As a side note, I’m going to have a downloadable report on the Olympic Lifts for anyone that’s interested. It’s the same one available through my newsletter, it’s just my newsletter will be fixed soon :)

• Brock says:

I see what you’re saying, but I didn’t articulate my point very well. First and foremost, I meant weighted triple extension. But in any event, as I stated, getting full extension of the ankle should be of minimal concern, mainly because, in sprinting, the SSC is far more important (where plyos will be implemented), and in jumping, the hips and knee extension will make up the brunt of the jumping force. Now, I understand squatting and pulling train triple extension, and I will never say they shouldn’t be performed. But, as many have noted, there is a deceleration phase at the top. They don’t teach forceful triple (or shall we say double?) extension. The O-lifts eliminate this. You have to finish, and finish fast, or you don’t finish at all. And yes, I realize squats and pulls can be performed dynamically. But again, there is a deceleration phase, unless you are using chains or bands (and even then, you may decelerate).
            Additionally, I do like what the O-lifts provide in terms of absorbing force.
            All that said, as you have noted, I, too, do not wish it to get hostile. In the video, you had brought up some of the points I posted about in my initial post, and mainly because, as I said, I’ve just heard them too many times to not say anything.
            I, too, have learned a lot from Buddy and James. Obviously, I did not intern with them, nor have I met or spoken with either of them. But I do recognize that they are very smart men, with a lot of experience and have proven themselves. But I don’t necessarily agree with everything they say.

• anthony mychal says:

Your point is valid about it being one of the few exercises that can be done in the weight room without a deceleration phase. But realistically, what does that mean for athletes? And can’t this also be mimicked with medicine ball work and jumps? Granted, it’s not loaded like it is during a clean, however, why does the load matter if your goal is speed?